Gooey Salted Caramel Brownies
Congratulations you've landed on one of our best ever recipes.
Gooey salted caramel brownies!! When developing this recipe we wanted to make sure it really was the best naturally plant-based version out there. So, we got experimenting and tried a lot of variations. We tried going down the vegetable route but we found this made the brownies taste quite earthy. We also tried using different flours and natural sweeteners. It took us a while but then we ended up with these. And oh my goodness what a treat they are.
We remember the first time we shared this tray with the Livia's office team and they were demolished in a flash. These gooey salted caramel brownies are perfectly chocolatey with a gooey salted date caramel middle. The soft squishy dates give the brownies a natural sweetness and caramel texture. We also add chocolate chunks and Nugglets for extra added indulgence which is totally recommended but completely optional. We hope you enjoy making these and can't wait to hear what you think! Make sure you tag us in your creations so we can see and share them! @livias
Equipment needed: For this recipe you will need a food processor to blend the dates. We use a small Magimix which works perfectly and it has lasted years so far. You can use a Nutribullet to blend the oats however in our experience the Nutribullet isn't powerful enough to blend the dates to a smooth enough consistency.
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Total: 1 hour
- 150g Ground almonds
100g Oat flour (or blended oats)
5 tbsp Cacao powder
50g Coconut oil
150ml Maple syrup
200ml Plant-based milk (we use almond)
35g dark chocolate chopped
3 tbsp Cashew butter (or alternative nut butter)
2 bags Salted Almond Butter Nugglets, chopped
- 300g Medjool dates
50ml plant-based milk (we use almond)
Generous pinch of salt
- Pre heat the oven to 180°C/356°F and line a small square baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Melt the coconut oil over a medium heat until fully melted and take off the heat.
- Place the ground almonds, buckwheat flour and cacao powder into a bowl and briefly mix. Then add the remaining ingredients, including the coconut oil and stir well. Leave to one side, whilst you make the salted caramel.
- To make the salted caramel, place all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until it’s really smooth. You might need to stop it a few times and give it a stir.
- Pour half of the brownie mixture into the baking tray. Next add the salted caramel on top (don’t worry too much if it slightly mixes in with the brownie). Pour the remaining brownie mix on top.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool, before slicing into 12 squares.